We are a family business that is dedicated to Sustainable Tourism and committed to ensuring that we are operating in a sustainable manner as possible.
This commitment is at the heart of our business and is central to both our daily planning and future developments as we look to minimise our impact on the environment around us. The Glen Mhor hotel is a signatory of the Glasgow Declaration on climate Action in Tourism and a member of the Green Tourism Award and support the UN Global Sustainability Goals.
With a robust green vision and policy, we are passionate about our local environment, biodiversity and keeping this for the generations to follow. We believe that our guests need to have confidence that we are fulfilling our role and responsibility to reduce our carbon footprint and are delighted to share our developments.
- Our New Geothermal Energy Centre that opened in May 2022 and is the first of its kind in Scotland, is allowing us to remove all the gas from the Hotel and provides all the heating and water. By doing this, we are saving over 250 Tonnes of Carbon a year.
- Our new brewery and distillery ‘Uile Bheist’ (meaning monster) is one of the lowest carbon brewery/distillery in the country. Running using our own heating and our own water source and using Solar panels for electricity. This outstanding example of renewable technology working in partnership and respect with the River Ness and our local environment.
- We have embedded our recycling environmental policy and green practices into daily best practice which means that you can relax knowing that we are not adding to landfills or food wastage and instead we follow procedures to reduce our carbon footprint and support out beautiful environment.
- We have a passionate Green Team within the hotel and a dedicated Sustainability Manager.
- We operate on a paper less system and have minimised all paper use within the hotel. This includes the development of our own Hospitality software. Our environmental landscape plan is seeing us support the local biodiversity and ensuring we can maximise green space. This also includes selecting top air purifying plants for internal use within the hotel.
HOW YOU CAN HELP: Here are a few top tips you can do to help us!
- All laundry is washed on site. Everyday millions of gallons of water are used to wash towels that are only used once. You can make a difference. Hang up your towels means: I will happily use it again – Towels left on the floor means: please replace
- Turning off the lights in your room when you leave will help reduce carbon emissions.
- We are part of the ‘Refill’ network app – If you have a water bottle, we offer free fill ups to support reducing single use containers.
- We have recycling bins positioned around the hotel. Please use these for your waste and help us continue to meet our recycling goals.
- We have secure bike shelter and can recommend local bike hire companies for bike hire should you wish to explore the city, Ness Islands or the Canal routes. There are many outstanding cycle friendly routes on our doorstep! We are always happy to hear ideas on what else we can do to support sustainable tourism. If you have any suggestion, please let us know.
Thank you for caring for the Earth with us!
Download our sustainability leaflet here.